Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Most Disturbing Books II

While on my Kealan Patrick Burke reading spree (that included the wonderful novella 'Sour Candy'), I discovered another book that disturbed me pretty much - albeit differently than 'Blanky' did. It's a novella called 'The Tent', and it's included in a collection of three other novellas (simply called 'The Novellas'):


This collection is the only way to get it on paper, because the novella alone is only available as an ebook


'The Tent' is a scary and repulsive story that somehow hit a nerve with me, and it's about... well, I can't really say anything more about it without spoilers, so let me say at least this: the light and warmth of the eponymous tent might be deceptive.
Burke is able - as always, it seems to me - to draw you in, deeply, and as soon as that happens, you will not get out easily. Some images of this novella will definitely haunt you. His writing style is - again, as always - concise, short, limited to the necessary, yet imaginative and atmospheric. 
Kealan Patrick Burke knows how to really frighten you - which is a rare trait in horror literature these days. And an even rarer trait is to surprise you: you will not know what's really happening until it's too late - for the protagonists. And for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment